Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Stop Eating My Trees

Stop Eating My Trees!

In addition to tree removal services in the metro Atlanta area, Atlanta Tree Professionals also offers tree treatment for insects.  Did you know that insects pollinate around 80% of trees and bushes?  Although some of those insects are beneficial to trees, there are about thirty species of insects that contribute to the decline of trees in the U.S.




Damaging insects are grouped by the kind of damage that they cause on certain parts of the tree.  Those groups are:
  • Defoliators or leaf eaters.  These include moths, aphids and caterpillars.
  • Beetles and borers.  These insects consume or breed inside a tree’s bark and wood.  They also consume the tree’s seeds so new trees can’t grow.
  • Fruit insect pests.  These insects rot the fruit growing on trees.  Moths, maggots, flies, leaf rollers and fruit worms are all part of this group.

Most common to our region are Pine Tree Beetles, Ambrosia beetles and carpenter ants.  

If you are worried that your tree(s) might have an insect infestation, look for these signs:

  • Sawdust around base of the tree
  • Chunks of canopy missing
  • Big bubbles of sap on the tree
  • Small holes in the tree (they can be smaller than a penny)
  • Dropping limbs

Insects are less likely to attack healthy trees, but already damaged or newly planted trees will be more susceptible to an infestation.  So what is the best way to protect your trees from bugs?  Prevention!  Atlanta Tree Professionals can help with that by providing annual treatment of trees for insect control, identifying branch, trunk and root defects that may weaken a tree and recommending ways to manage them, removing dead or defective branches, correcting problems caused by improper care practices that have occurred in the past, pruning to make the tree safer and healthier and crown reduction that reduces the risk of tree failure for large trees located near buildings.


If you believe one or more of your trees are infested or if you want to prevent future infestations, give us a call and we’ll make sure those pests stop eating your trees!  The month of June is free tree assessment month, so give us a call and we’ll come assess your trees at no cost!  We service the Atlanta and metro Atlanta areas.  Call us today at (404) 644-8733.

22 comments:

  1. At least they stick up like that, easy to see. We're getting a tree service this week. One of our poor old trees they ruined, so that's getting removed and the stump ground out. The other one just needs protection. Thiago | http://www.dariotreetrimming.com/Stump_Grinding_Yard_Cleanups_Sylmar_CA.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had bugs eating the leaves on our tree for years now. I think I just want to cut it down instead of trying to make it healthy again. Do you know any tree removal companies in Virginia? Thanks for your help!

    Wayne Deer | http://www.vabeachtreeservice.com/Tree-Trimming-Virginia-Beach-VA.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a diseased tree due to bugs. I know what damage these can cause! I need to have one of my trees removed because of it. I would love to have my other trees treated because of these pests.
    Gary Puntman | http://www.northerntreeservice.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice! I had no idea insects were less likely to attack healthy trees. What a reason to keep up on tree care! I'll have to get my yard checked regularly from now on.

    Jenn | http://www.timberlandtreecompany.com/Experienced_Arborists_Inglewood_CA.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been struggling with bugs eating my trees. I don't think I've ever had them this bad. Should I call a tree service company to see what they can do?

    Will Jenkins | http://www.stritartreeservices.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also had some bugs eating at my tree recently. I think that it would be best if we just cut down the tree. Would anyone happen to know who I should contact for tree removals in Gold Coast? http://www.simonstreesurgery.com.au/tree-removal/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to get rid of a tree because it was attacked by bugs. I tried but I just couldn't save. The only thing left to do was dispose of it.
    Bill | http://www.agilitytrees.com.au/home

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some caterpillars eating my leaves on my trees. The are to the point where they need to be trimmed so I am hoping a nice trimming will help with the bug problem. I don't want to lose my tree to bugs again.
    Cynthia | | http://www.jandjtreecare.com/services/tree-pruining-trimming/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irrigation Los altos We had Atlanta Tree Professionals take down a large, hard to access tree up against our deck and prune.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is nice that there are places that will take care of tree removal for me. It seems like it would be too difficult and dangerous to do by myself. I think it would be especially hard to work on the gigantic blue spruce in my back yard.

    http://www.jttree.com/Tree_Pruning_Los_Angeles_CA.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. It can be really annoying to have bugs and pests trimming your plants and trees unnecessarily. If I want to change something about my yard, I want to do it because I want to. Not because some infestation has forced me to remove something entirely.
    http://www.woodlandtreeandlandscape.com/nj-tree-services.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. My leaves look exactly like this! Those little worm things are destroying all of my trees. It's driving me nuts and I don't want to cut them all down. They've been growing for so long and they're finally providing shade.

    Gerald Vonberger | http://treesculptors.com/Services/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea that big bubbles of sap were a sign of an insect infestation! How do insects cause the sap to bubble? I've noticed this on some of my trees, unfortunately. http://sustainabletreecare.com/tree-care-services/pruning-trimming.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realize that any tree trimming companies offered insect repellant service. I'll have to call up my local company to see if they can do this for me. I'm fairly certain that my apple tree in the backyard is getting demolished by pests. With this help I could perhaps get a crop of apples in the upcoming season. http://shadywoodtreeexperts.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been having some problems with bugs eating my tree leaves. So I am researching to see what things I can do in order to get rid of the bugs and so that I can keep my trees healthy. This blog was very informative and gave me a lot of great tips that I can use. Thanks for the post. http://www.doneritetreeco.com/services.php

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello,
    fungal attack is the most common thing which happens with trees and it damage the tree .So we need to be careful and take care of our plants by speeding the pesticides .
    http://www.treeys.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice Post!
    I apprecite your blog such a nice in question in this blog about Insects are less likely to attack healthy trees, but already damaged or newly planted trees will be more susceptible to an infestation. .I agree with your point that professtional tree care is very needed now business.sometime ago I have professtional tree care by treeprosonama.It's great services provider thanks for postion It.
    Cotati Tree Removal

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a great service! Locally, tree pruning in Queens helps me out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great experience. I had a large tree that needed to go as well as a bunch of trimming that needed to be done for our corner lot. They were able to come in quickly and haul it away for a great price. Will call them again when the need arises. www.longislandtreecare.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice Post, really great. Although it is important to have trees, its hard to completely do away with deforestation because the products of these trees are also very important. The only thing that can be done is to control the way the deforestation is done so that they do not go extinct. Whenever a person cuts down trees, they should replace double the number if possible. http://www.lindaletreecare.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mein Haus Tree Removal Services Mississauga, Canada, provide world-class logging services. Our designers create a site plan, views, sections, and construction drawings using a precise blueprint. A personalized solution is provided for any type of demand, including tree care. There is also the issue of distance for both homeowners and business owners. We've done anything from small tree pruning and distances to massive and dangerous tree distances. Call 6479309066 for further information.

    ReplyDelete