Friday, October 31, 2014

Those Pesky Acorns | Blogpost from Atlanta Tree Professionals

Those Pesky Acorns



If you have an oak tree in your yard, chances are you see your fair share of acorns.  Pesky when you are trying to keep your yard up, yes, but these little seeds are a pretty amazing part of nature.  So amazing that artists, poets and storytellers alike have all been using the story of the acorn to inspire their work.  Like this great quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson: “The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.”

Need Tree Service in Atlanta Today? Call 404-644-8733 

The little acorn is food to over 100 species of birds and animals around the world, some of which rely solely on this nut for nutrients. Oak trees actually depend on these animals, especially birds and squirrels to disperse their seeds.  Because acorns are so heavy, they can only fall so far from the tree, so the animals bring the acorns all over so they have a chance to grow.

In the U.S. alone, there are over 60 species of oak trees that produce acorns of all different shapes and sizes.  In a good year, just one of these trees can produce thousands of acorns!  Why do these trees produce so many acorns?  For one, the odds of one acorn actually growing into a tree are less than 1 in 10,000!  For an oak tree to be able to begin producing acorns they must be at least 20 years old and some do not produce acorns until they are over 50 years old.  The older the tree is, the more acorns they will produce.

So, what should you do about the thousands of acorns in your yard?  Since so many animals are reliant on these nutrient-filled seeds, we don’t recommend doing away with them!  If you just can’t have them in your yard, try raking them up and throwing them somewhere away from your yard.

If you have some beautiful oak trees in your yard, these are trees to be treasured!  They are, after all, the national trees of the U.S.  If you want to keep your oak trees (and other trees) healthy, call Atlanta Tree Professionals at 404-644-8733 and we’ll help you do just that!


9 comments:

  1. I have an old acorn tree that needs to be pulled out. I want it completely gone, I don't want a stump in my yard. What do I have to do to make sure that there is nothing left.

    http://www.northshoretreeservices.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather has started to change. I am now finding all the leaves on the ground. I love having a tree, but, I am having a hard time moving around as I used to. I probably should call a tree trimming service to trim back my tree. http://www.jandjtreecare.com/services/tree-pruining-trimming/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tree Lopping means the removal of an infected branch of a tree whereas tree removal means removing the entire tree. Now if you ask the professional for tree removal service when what you actually want is Tree Lopping Gold Coast you can very well understand what will be the consequence. Following are certain guidelines that you need to following in order to ensure that your tree lopping service is carried out effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an acorn tree in my backyard. I hate that it drops acorns on my lawn. I want to have the tree removed. I will have to find someone in my area who can get rid of the tree for me. I'm sure that I can have it removed for a good price. http://qualitreeidaho.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an acorn tree in my yard. The tree is really pretty, but I don't like where the acorns land. They land along the sidewalk and they often roll into the road. I would like to hire a tree service to move the tree to another location in my yard. If it's not possible without killing the tree, then it seems like I'll have to have it permanently removed, since I've been getting complaints from the neighbors.
    http://www.scottlanestreesrv.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an old tree in my backyard. Last night, it was hit by a bolt of lightning. I want to get it removed before it falls and hurts someone. I know someone in my neighborhood who does tree removal. I am going to ask him to get rid of the tree. http://www.woodlandtreeandlandscape.com/nj-tree-services.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an old tree in my backyard. Last night, it was hit by a bolt of lightning. I want to get it removed before it falls and hurts someone. I know someone in my neighborhood who does tree removal. I am going to ask him to get rid of the tree. http://www.woodlandtreeandlandscape.com/nj-tree-services.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I came across this post! I have an oak tree in my front yard. Acorns always cover my lawn and patio. It would be great to hire someone to come check out my tree and see what they can do about my problem.
    http://www.treecuttime.com/Tree_Service_Tips_Lakeland_FL.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read all your blog & its really good. These professionals are specifically trained to work with different trees and off late the demand for this professional Arborist Newcastle are increasing.

    ReplyDelete